1.03.2012

DIY Travel Inspired Art

First and foremost, I would like to wish the world's best dad a very happy, happy birthday! Hope your day is amazing dad--you deserve it!

On an entirely different note, I have been fortunate enough to travel the world thanks to Trinity Academy of Irish Dance.  I've competed in Ireland and Scotland and performed in Belgium, France, Montreal, and Japan.  The only major trip I have taken not pertaining to Irish dance was a month long trip in Australia.  We volunteered for two weeks and then had an adventure tour for two weeks all through International Student Volunteers (ISV).  The adventure tour consisted of snorkeling, white water rafting, bungee jumping, sky diving, and rappelling.  Needless to say, it was pretty incredible.  

I got inspired when I looked at Alaina's Etsy shop.  Alaina is the brains behind Live Creating Yourself and will be launching The Evergirl with Danielle in February, which I am oh so anxiously awaiting.  I already follow both ladies daily and will be adding The Everygirl to my must-visit list.

I had two frames I liked from TJ Maxx that had just been sitting in my room.  Something needed to be done with them.  I referred back to previously mentioned inspiration.  I wanted to capture at least two places I had traveled to in the past several years, and I chose the Eiffel Tower and the Sydney Opera House.  I would later like to add something from Japan as I miss it dearly.  I looked at images here and here for inspiration as well. I loved Alaina's larger frames, but these were the frames I had already so I'm working with them.  Here's the final product:


I used the frames I had and just cut out plain white paper to fit into the 4x6 frames.  I sketched my drawings in pencil and traced over them with a permanent marker.  Nothing too crazy.  If I can do it, you can most certainly do this as well.



Since I'm home for winter break they're residing in our basement next to a globe I bought at TJ as well. I envision them residing on a shelf in my dream office one day.




Do you have any favorite places you would want to remember through some art? 

16 comments:

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

These are so cute! I love how simple they are and it is always great to have personalized art in a space! I can barley straw a straight line with a ruler! Ha! I am also laughing at your coster caddy! My mom had one of those for all of my life! They were the best coasters!

Happy new year!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Oh I love a good DIY project! These are so fun! I too am anxiously waiting for the Everygirl. :)


XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

The Sister Studio said...

What a great DIY project. I love this. Oh, and I didn't know you were a dancer? Me too!! Just another reason why I love you and your blog. :)

Dana Frieling said...

Who knew you were an adventure junkie?! Love that. Your art turned out awesome. I'm a big fan of surrounding yourself with personal artwork.

Ashley {styleash} said...

Such a neat idea! I'm seriously impressed with your art skills- I don't know if mine would turn out quite as nice.

xx
Ashley

Brittanie said...

Carly, I just came across your blog and love it! Your traveled inspired art pieces are great and we both share a love for Sydney :)

To a New Year and New Friends!

Mae B said...

LOVE! LOVE! You did a such a cute job with that Eiffel Tower sketch...great work lady! Very creative ideas, I'm excited to try this.
xx

Mandy said...

I love your little sketches! What a neat, sentimental way to remember your travels.

PS Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Mandy
The Klury Report & Kini Style

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

I love the woods you've mixed together. I put art everywhere, in my kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, yea, pretty much everywhere!

Michelle's Style File said...

Love this art- so simple, so fab!

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

Abby M. Interiors said...

That's a great idea! Well done and super cute.
Abby

Lacey said...

Such a great idea! I am travelling to Italy this summer and think this could be a great way to remeber my trip,

Lacey xoxo

Kristen said...

Love this idea, seems fun! Sharpies are actually always fun when I get my hands on certain colors, I can never stop drawing!

Just when you thought

pam {simple details} said...

Easy for you to say - mine would not look that amazing! My favorite art is simple drawings, they'll fit in anywhere and what fun reminders of your adventures!

Susan said...

Those are so cute! I just found your blog via breakfast at toast and I love it! I'm a soon to be teacher too, so I know how you feel! I love those drawings, Alaina has such a great shop!

Aspiring Kennedy said...

mmm, yes please! i love travel prints. i never can commit to any because i always figure i'll love some other ones just as much/more... the result? none in our house! cute way to keep it low cost in case i do find more :)