12.19.2011

guest post::beauty and the beard

I am so happy to be hosting my very first guest post today from none other than Laura at Beauty and the Beard.


I had the pleasure of spending a wonderful semester with Laura during our Spanish class at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  She is now a midwest implant in the beautiful state of Virginia, and blogging has brought us back in touch, which I could not be more thrilled about.  I am in awe of her DIY projects and as you will see in this post, she continues to out-do herself with each project.  Not to mention she whips up a mean meal in the kitchen.  I hope you'll enjoy her blog as much as I have.

************

Hello fellow lovers of A Simple Affair!

As Carly mentioned, I'm Laura from Beauty and the Beard- a blog I started when my boyfriend and I moved 1000+ miles away from home on a whim to start anew in the South. My blog is dedicated to the things I love most: simple delicious recipes, easy DIY crafts, and projects to improve our amazing apartment.

I'm thrilled to be able to do a guest post today, and I know if you loved Carly's post on statement necklaces that you'll love my most recent project! I definitely share her love of big necklaces -and I felt I needed to display the sparkling gems somewhere to show off their beauty. Since I live with my boyfriend I wanted to find somewhere to showcase them without making him have to stare at them all day every day- and the wall that serves as a headboard for our bed was the perfect nook to start out:

After checking out Pinterest I decided rakes, towel racks, and shower bars were not right fit for me - but when I saw some tree murals painted I knew that a necklace tree coming out of the corner of the wall was the way to go. First I penciled out the tree: 
(Go ahead, make fun of it. I know it looks like a 4 year old drew it- but have faith!)

Next I mixed up a charcoal grey color- which  I figured would be neutral enough to highlight all the necklace colors and bold enough to stand out on the wall:
(Yes, I had to wear my highest heels to paint the top of the tree- being 5'2" + no step stool = fashionable painting)
See? Much better than the pencil sketch:

After the paint dried I began hammering paneling nails along the branches for the necklaces to hang from:
(Make sure you leave at least 6 inches between your main branches so all your necklaces can show!)

The final step was to hang the necklaces ... 
the ones I could find at least - 2 months living here 
and I still haven't unpacked all the boxes! 

Leaves are lovely and all, but wouldn't you rather have a tree dripping with jewels? 
                           

After I hung all the necklaces,
I added some dangling earrings to the little, lower branches.  
Doesn't it perfectly fill in the wall and the tree?


So there you have it- a great way to take a bare wall and turn it into a showcase for all your favorite statement pieces. I hope each of you can find some inspiration here to make your own perfect display!

Thanks to Carly for letting me crash A Simple Affair- and all of you for taking the time to check out  Beauty and the Beard !

14 comments:

sampenner said...

WOW! I am thoroughly impressed. What a neat project!!

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Jordan@the2seasons said...

This is so neat. I am going to pin this what a great idea. Not sure where I could do this but I can dream of doing it.

Amish Stories said...

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone. I'm just stopping by random blogs today and checking them out. Also wishing you folk's a healthy and happy new years. Richard from an Amish community in Pennsylvania.

Mae said...

wow!! I love this project...how fun! And yes, I would definitely rather have a tree dripping with jewels than leaves!
Thanks for stopping by! Cute blog, following now!
xx

travelkate said...

Very cute and creative!

Laura & Michael [beauty and the beard] said...

Carly, Thanks so much for letting me do a guest post!!

Thanks to all for the compliments - hope you check out Beauty and the Beard!

Daniela said...

I love it! What a great way to keep everything organized while add some 'pretty' to a room :)

Michelle ~ Make Life Pretty said...

What a fantastic idea! It turned out beautifully!

Elle Sees said...

WOW that turned out amazing!!

audrey marie said...

what a cute idea - that turned out SO cute!

p-l-a-i-d said...

This is an absolutely fabulous idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing! Just found your blog, and i'm following now!

Kat Tanita said...

obsessed with this!!! what a cute idea :) thanks for your comment on my blog! my dress is from BCBG a few years ago!

xo
kat

Samantha said...

I need to do this!! This is amazing! Already pinned to my Pinterest board to try sometime soon! What color did you use for the tree?

Laura & Michael [beauty and the beard] said...

Hi guys! Thanks for all the sweet comments about my tree!! I just mixed up some acrylic paint to a light charcoal- about 1/2 cup of white paint adding a few drops of black at a time! Glad you pinned it!!

Laura
Beautyandbeard.blogspot.com