12.10.2011

Christmas Party

J and I threw our first ever party at our apartment last night.  Also, our first classy college party.  Let's be serious, usually it's just the ugly sweater party, but this year, we wanted to do something different.  After all, she is in the real world now even though I'm still struggling through my 5th year with the worst case of senioritis known to mankind.  Did I mention that Thursday was my last day with my amazing first grade nuggets? I managed to only cry twice.  I'll get to see them at their Christmas concert next week, but after that, it's on to student teaching with the third graders!  So this party was also a much needed pick-me-up.

J had off on Friday, and I didn't have class so we had the whole day to prep.  Our apartment quickly became the cleanest it has been since we moved in.  During the week, we each chose recipes we wanted to make.  J chose Baked Spinach Dip Mini Bread Bowls and I chose Red Pepper Pesto Bruschetta with Fresh Parmesan in Tostitos Scoops - well that was a mouthful, literally.  Here's what they looked like after they were prepped:




Then we kept them cool until 30 minutes before friends came over.  I would highly recommend prepping the bruschetta in advance because then the EVOO had a chance to get soaked up much more.  Also, I added some balsamic, which I think completed the recipe. 

Since it was a smaller get together we stuck with those two appetizers in addition to a cheese spread because we're in Wisconsin and could eat cheese with every meal.  Then, as I'm sure most of you have seen on Pinterest, we made some Santa hat brownies!  


Since the phrase "too much chocolate" will never come out of my mouth, we bought a pack of fudge brownies, and I added dark chocolate chips to them as well.  Confession: I ate two for breakfast this morning because they are that good.  Judge away.  

I cannot wait to make these dishes for other parties as well.  I could not stop eating the bruschetta and J's bread bowls were incredible.  You can also just make the dip too.  We ate plenty of the leftovers while cooking.  I would also highly recommend trying Boursin Vermont White Cheddar & Sage that we had in the middle of the cheese spread.  Whoa, was that good.  


We welcomed each guest with our signature drink of the evening: champagne and cranberry juice with frozen cranberries to keep it cool.  


It was such a wonderful evening!  J even bought us matching aprons and has the best DVD for anyone who does not have a fireplace in their apartment (thanks for giving that to her last year Mrs. G)!  Oh, and I got to wear the shirt from Zara that J gave me when we opened our presents early.  I'll leave you with some more pictures from the night:





Do you have a go-to appetizer dish I should know about? Any holiday parties coming up?

4 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

First, you two couldn't be more adorable!!! Very classy and the recipes sound delish! You're setting the bar pretty high for college parties!

Laura said...

you are way too cute! love the santa hat brownies!

Julia - the Urban Slant said...

looks like so much fun!! i love the strawberry santas! xo

B said...

Your food looks to die for and it looks like your first "classy" party was a success! Although I'm a big fan of the ugly sweater party too! My fave is the strawberry santas btw!

Brittany
http://adam-n-brittany.blogspot.com/